Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food." Genesis 1:29

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Before Thinking.

How has your journey, your plan, your focus with regards to food, exercise and a healthy lifestyle been going?  Do you feel like on your own you have accomplished what you set out to do?  It is hard to do this all by yourself, even if some people know that you are working on losing weight or trying to eat healthier, it isn't the same thing as having an accountability partner - a person, friend, that is with you during everything and is available whenever you may need them.  Sometimes we need "a friend who can speak rationality into your irrational impulses.  A friend who will hold you accountable, speak the truth in love, and pray for you."  I am so thankful that God has provided me with a really awesome, Godly accountability friend - it really does help!  Accountability is crucial and I would encourage you to prayfully consider the right healthy eating plan for you and for an accountability partner that can help you along the way.
The temporary pleasure that so many people seek in food is something that seems so ridiculous when you hear about it from someone else - their story, you think, man that was bad and I can't imagine doing that.  And yes, maybe you would not do the exact same thing that they did, but you may be on the same road of selfish indulgence to an idol that is not God!  In Made To Crave Lysa addresses the story of Jacob and Esau.  I'll write out the story here for those who may not be familiar with it and just as a refresher to others.  This is a story that I think, wow, I wouldn't give up that much for my love for food, but then when I really look at what has been sacrificed or messed up - what I have given up for the food, then I don't feel so far from Esau.  "Esau was the older of two twins, a skillful hunter, while the younger twin, Jacob was more of a homebody.  The Scriptures say:  'Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished.  He said to Jacob, 'Quick, let me have some of that red stew!  I'm famished!'  Jacob replied, 'First sell me your birthright.'  'Look, I am about to die', Esau said, 'What good is the birthright to me?'  But Jacob said, 'Swear to me first.'  So he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob.  Then Jacob gave Esau some bread and some lentil stew.  He ate and drank, and then got up and left.  So Esau despised his birthright.  (Genesis 25:29-34).  The thing that strikes me about this story is how much Esau gave up for just a few moments of physical satisfaction.  He sacrificed what was good in the long term for what felt good in the short term.  He gave up WHO HE WAS in a moment of desperation."
Who are you?  Are you willing to give that up? 

No comments:

Post a Comment